Monday, March 7, 2011

LR Half Marathon


I am so happy to say--I survived the half marathon. My hip did not break, nor did my uterus fall out! My intestines seem all still intact and my pelvis is not falling apart with stress fractures.

In fact, I had so much energy at the end (the last 3 miles), I ran at my old pace and finished well. I was thrilled!

Mike and I had a great weekend. Our room was right on the street where the marathon began, in fact we could see the start line from our window...and we heard the music for the early start at 5:30 am. Mike wasn't too thrilled with that, though. The great thing about having the room was the fact that I didn't have to go outside until right at the time to start...we stayed in the warm lobby and watched everybody line up, then Cheryl and I hopped in line 5 minutes before race start! The temp was a chilly 32 degrees and cloudy.

Cheryl is a friend of mine that I found out was running the half a few weeks ago...we had never run together and had actually been out of touch over the last few years. One day she inboxed me on facebook and told me she was training for the half. We began encouraging eachother during the training and really didn't ever discuss running together.

As my injury started bothering me more and more during my training, I knew if I did run, it would have to be a much slower pace than what I had originally wanted. Cheryl had mentioned that she has been training running 12 minute miles. It was a blessing that we decided last minute to meet up and try to run together...at least in the beginning and if either one felt like going ahead, we had the freedom to do that. I had in my mind that I might even need to walk at times and I didn't want to hold her back at all. We agreed to that and had a wonderful time running side by side for most of the race. I think we were together for 10 miles.

When we reached Chester, the street where I knew we were almost done, I told Cheryl that I was going to try and pick up my pace a little and just see how I would do. She said fine...go ahead...so I took off alone. I began really hurting at about mile 9 earlier in the race, but God allowed me to somehow tolerate the pain and push myself. I wanted to finish in about 2 1/2 hours so bad! I knew I could if I pushed the last three miles.

The last 3 miles felt so good. I passed quite a few people...even Rick from last season's Biggest Loser. He did a great job, by the way, and has kept his weight off. It was great to see him during the race! It just felt good to get my pace to a place I remembered from before injury! Loved it! It felt surreal, knowing that just 2 days before, I told Mike I was just not going to do it...it would be too hard...it would hurt...and I didn't even think I could actually finish it. All of those thoughts were whirling around in my head as I crossed the finish line. God did protect me...He did give me the required endurance....He even gave me joy in the pain. It was wonderful in everyway!

I ran the whole way...did not need to walk at all....although I did walk a few seconds to drink at the drink stations....I can't run and drink!

Thank you so much to those of you who prayed for me and encouraged me. I have no regrets in going through with it, but if I hadn't done it, I would have regrets forever. God is so good! Thank you for being such sweet godly friends! I give Him all the glory for what He has done!

My time: 2:31:04 Future goal is 2:15 and hopefully be injury free!

5 comments:

  1. Love it! So glad you were able to finish and finish strong. Still seeing the doctor this week?

    ReplyDelete
  2. tears...lump in throat...I knew you would feel this way...no regrets!!! so glad you did it...God did it! I just see as you submitted to His will He blessed you, especially those last 3 miles...what a Great God!!! I am anxious to hear what the doc. says tomorrow. If you don't want to put that on your blog would you PLEASE in-box me on Fb and let me know? I am praying for it to be just some minor injury like a muscle strain. God is good, all smiles today for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. joy in the pain - so symbolic, so true! love love LOVED reading your experience and journey from start to finish! God is so good, all the time. i pray you receive some answers with a goal to get through this injury - whatever it may be!
    your time is AWESOME!! so happy for you kim!!
    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Somehow I missed this post. Love it, Kim!

    ReplyDelete