My goal for my long runs is 8-10 miles...I ran 8 miles last Saturday and 10 today! I was not concerned about my pace at all. I was just running slow and steady to try and get the distance down. I felt really good on miles 5-7...but after stopping at my mail box for a big gulp of water, my right foot and toes starting hurting. So the last 3 miles, I was a little uncomfortable. I guess this is how people feel on the last stretch of a marathon, because this was like a marathon to me! Do you think that could be from my shoes or because I am not used to running this distance yet?
My biggest complaint is that it took forever! I will have to do long runs on days that Mike is home to be with the kids...I don't have enough time to run it on early mornings before breakfast. So, it will have to be on Saturdays or Sunday afternoons. With soccer season in full gear now, it will be challenging to find time. But, I think it is important to have one day that is longer than the normal runs, so I am going to try and make it work.
Tomorrow is a rest day...and I am glad!
Distance--10.04 mi
Time--1:43:05
Pace--10:15/mi
Calories--992
Marathon #11 - a PR at last!!
10 years ago

Sounds like your toes or something started to cramp. I get that every now and then with long runs too. My toe nails are what usually hurt afterward (well the day after, especially). I hope it feels better now. :) That's awesome you did 10 too! It was a gorgeous day here!
ReplyDeleteKim it might be something you're doing unconsciously. Since the distance is longer than what you are used to, you could be curling your toes while running. I know that sounds silly but it can happen. The increased distance might be causing you to tense up a bit. Watch your form, from your shoulders to your toes and try to get into a relax rhythmic cadence. Also for that distance you might try switching your lead foot. Since you mentioned your right foot was hurting I bet that's your lead foot. You can do this by consciously trying to lead with the other foot. Can you tell I'm big on the bio-mechanics of running =D Other than that the only other things I can think of are the need for new shoes or you might just need some time for your muscles to build up in your feet. Great job on the mileage!!!
ReplyDeletePressing on,
Terri
Thanks, Terri! You are so helpful! I will look into those things...this morning the ends of my toes on my right foot were still tender...kinda like a bruise.
ReplyDeleteyes! curling the toes! i have found myself doing that from time to time during long runs... i should read up more on the bio-mechanics of running. great insight!
ReplyDeleteKim, the most recent Runner's World (May 09) addressed a lot of your issues if you don't have a copy you should try to get one. The best way to know if you have the "right" shoes is to go to a running specialty store and have them fit you for you shoes. Take your old shoes with you and go later in the day when your feet have had a chance to swell a bit. A good store will have knowledgeable sales people to look at your arch, the size of your foot and your stride. Whenever someone I know starts to get serious about running the first thing I tell them is to get fitted by a "professional" for shoes. I think this is a great new blog and look forward to reading about your adventures. And a 10 minute pace for 10 miles is excellent! Great job!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Mechelle! I found a store about an hour away and I can't wait to go there and get fitted. I really love my asics Gel Nimbus(I am on my 4th pair!)...and they have been great for my shorter runs...maybe I need something else for the longer ones, we will see.
ReplyDelete