Thank you so much for your prayers!
I went to the sports injury doctor yesterday and had a pretty thorough exam. He did some reflex and movement configurations and said if it was my hip (femoral neck stress fracture) then it would hurt when he turned my leg a certain way. It did not. That made me feel better, because that is the one I was worried about. But, still everything I read about that type of stress fracture says the pain is in the exact place where I am having the most pain. And I know a lot of runners get misdiagnosed with this injury...so I am not second guessing the doctor, but just want to be cautious and sure it is not that. I am not convinced yet...although I am thinking more that this may be a muscle injury that has some nerve irritation. He seems to think that is what it is because I am having some minor achiness and pain down the back of my leg...and even into my foot at times. He doesn't know what is causing the nerve pain...only an MRI would show that.
He also did hip and pelvic x-rays that did not show anything at all. But, he stated that if it was a stress fracture it would probably not show anything anyway, but it might show where one was healing if there was time for that to occur.
An MRI cost roughly $1,000...so that is my dilemma now. He said that if the MRI cost $100 he would recommend it that day in a heartbeat because then we would see exactly what the issue is...bone or muscle. But since my husband is self employed and we have a high deductible, we pay for most/all of our medical care since we usually never meet the deductible...we have it for big emergencies only.
So, since that is the case, he thought I should come back in one week after completely resting...no trying to run, no fast walking, no cross training, or even strength exercises. He asked that I try to stay off of my feet as much as possible. We would then re-evaluate to see if it is improved and I would have time to talk with Mike and see what our next step is. If the pain is much better by then, then we won't need the MRI at all and I can start gradually working back up to running. We may never know what the injury was...but, if I am still having pain and achiness even with resting after one week more, we will probably do the MRI.
So, how am I doing you ask? I miss running terribly, but I am doing okay and know that resting and taking it slow will get me back to running more quickly than trying to run sooner than I should. It has been hard, though..I have to admit to you. I REALLY enjoy running and love how it makes me more energetic...I just feel good after a run. I always look forward to that time of the day when I can get out, pray, and see all that God has made, while knowing I am doing something good for my body.
Plus, I just started this blog not too long ago and I think that God has brought our little running group together here to encourage and pray for one another--that has been so precious to me. So, what was God's purpose in all this? I'm not sure...but I know it has been a blessing to me and I am thankful for it. My running posts will be non existent for a while, but I may post about some different things as I work through this injury and see what the Lord is teaching me about Himself. I will be cheering all of you along, though! I know some of you are getting ready for races and are training...some have some fun runs ahead...whatever is going on, I will be the benched friend on the sidelines praying and cheering for you all!
Marathon #11 - a PR at last!!
10 years ago

I will be praying for quick healing and wisdom for the doctor to know how to best treat what it is that's going on. I do hope that you will feel much, much better with another week of rest.
ReplyDeleteYou are not alone on the bench! :) I'm sitting next to you in my pregnant state. But I still can cheer you on in your recovery time. I also feel like I'm cheering my other running friends on, the ones I used to run up to 10 miles with early Saturday mornings. I miss those runs but we both know our rest time is for an important purpose. Blessings to you as you rest! :)
Kim,
ReplyDeleteThanks for the update-I'm sorry you didn't get a clear and definitive answer. With the rest you're getting and your healthy eating, you should heal quickly. "Don't waste your injury", as John Piper might say.
Trust in Him at all times, O people;
pour out your heart before Him;
God is a refuge for us. Ps. 62:8
I will keep praying.
Kim, Thanks so much for the update. I am really going to pray that this week will see healing for you and that you won't have to go for the MRI.
ReplyDeletePraying also that this time of rest will be sweeter for you than you could ever imagine.
Mary Ann, love the "Don't waste your injury! reference! :)
Kim, I was hoping you could get a definite answer from the doctor. But I know God is sovereign even when we don't know certain answers. The possibility that this is not a stress fracture is really good news! I know since I took off that week and a half my hip has felt much better. I have had to reduce my mileage but it has apparently helped. I do hope this turns out to be muscular and rest will prove to be enough to promote further healing. I have prayed for you and the doctor to have wisdom and I do think it is wise to wait it out and see what some additional rest will bring. I know you miss running and we miss hearing about your runs. In the mean time we are pressing on together with you in prayer and expecting His blessings to be full in your life during this time. I will continue to pray.
ReplyDeleteI agree Mary Ann, love that don't waste your injury thought.
Oh Kim! I know just what you mean about insurance and that deductible. We would be doing the same thing. I will keep praying for you and that next week the healing will really take place. At least if is musuclar, time, love, and tenderness are all you need! I will pray that will be just the right medicine.
ReplyDeleteThank you for being a cheerleader for all of us. That means soooo much!
BTW, that's a cute quote from MaryAnn (just finished that book recently!).
Hi Kim, Just wanted you to know I am praying for you today.
ReplyDelete