I received IT this mornong...IT is the document that has to be shown to pick up race packet the day before the race. So, it is official and only 11 days away. Yikes.
Why is it that I am having all these new aches and pains? I do not feel the least bit ready for this. My left foot has been hurting a lot even on short runs...my left hamstring has started hurting on mile 3 and continues to throb and pull during my run....and my injury from almost 2 years ago has flared up again and I am feeling a pull/tightness and pain in the inguinal ligament area...does this mean my uterus is going to fall out?! Also, my lower back is killing me.
As you can see, my mind is racing with all kinds of what ifs...I have convinced myself of a total body MRI after the race.
This is going to be UGLY.
Marathon #11 - a PR at last!!
10 years ago

Don't be discouraged! You have trained well and prepared yourself thoroughly-don't psych yourself out. At this point, much of the battle is in your mind. Think positive. On race day, the adrenalin will be flowing and there's a great chance that you will do fine and finish with excellence. (But if not, you've still done your best and there's no shame!)
ReplyDeleteHave you considered taking advil or aleve an hour before the race starts? That might help. Or maybe even take a couple every day starting a week before the race? Just a thought-I know you're not big on medicine and neither am I.
Praying!
Thank you, Mary Ann for the encouragement.
ReplyDeleteMy mind is cauing me problems lately. I keep picturing myself with a femoral neck stress fracture and breaking my hip in the race and leaving on a stretcher. I am so silly!
I have been taking one ibuprofen daily,more than that upsets my stomach. I will probaly take tylenol before therace...I do well with that evenhough it is not an inflammatory med, it might help with the pain and I am going to bring either ibuprofen or tylenol in my spibelt to take during the race if needed.
I know race day will be so fun. My nerves are starting to show--I guss that is normal. I just do not want to hurt myself since this is such a longer distance than I am used to.
You are right though...I will just do my best. Walking breaks are fine-I will be taking them!!!
Your foot is hurting??? Do you need new shoes? No need to worry Kim, you will know what to do when the time comes. The scary part of any race is the unknowns. Just remember it's only one day and after this race you will have a great base to improve on. I told myself last race to think of this as just another training run with lots of other people. I was a bundle of nerves race morning but once I started running everything felt right. I can't wait to hear all about it! I know it will turn out to be a very special day!
ReplyDeletei wonder if these are "phantom pains" you are feeling now?? i had those a few weeks before the marathon. it was bad. i thought i couldn't do it!
ReplyDeleteyou will be fine, i really truly hope! ;) i wonder if deep stretching will help? i'd hate to try too many new things before a race but if you have 11 days that may be good. a good hot soaking with epsom salt may be on tap? i've never tried it but have been reading how it really does help with inflammation. keep eating those berries too!
i'll be praying for you. :)
your race is on my calendar now! :)