For a couple of reasons:
1) We have 7 inches of snow on the ground and I don't own a treadmill.
2) I think I over did it last week and am feeling it this week.
I'm hoping that having a week off will not affect my training too much. Endurance wise I am fine, but those pesky pains try to interfere! Fear about the half coming up is entering my mind.
Mike thinks I need to rest, so I will listen to his advice.
Hopefully this weekend I can get in some short runs. The snow is gorgeous and I am enjoying some fun family time! We have a fun day of sledding planned for tomorrow!
Marathon #11 - a PR at last!!
10 years ago

The snow has hit pretty hard this year. Even Texas got a few flakes. Kim, I think rest is the best way for you to work back into running. I know missing training days is hard. As the time got closer for me to run the Chev. Houston 1/2 I began to really doubt my training was enough. Even though I had run 13miles in a training run I was not convinced I could do it again. I was uncertain right until mile 10 in the race that I would not be able to do it! But what I can tell you is that I so enjoyed the experience. I loved seeing my family on the course, the supporters and other runners, it just made the time go by so easy. In hindsight it was only one race. Just one single day out of many days. I'm thankful I was able to just let go of time goals and even let go of having to stop and walk if I needed to. I know that my heart wanted to race, to run like a gazelle yet, at the same time, I didn't want that to takeaway the victory and progress I had worked so hard to obtain. That made all the difference on race day. When I didn't let the momentum of what I had accomplished be waisted on the alter of wanting to run faster or better. I know this has been a long road coming back from your injury. And it sounds like this is something that has the potential to get very painful if you are not careful. So I say just keep celebrating those little every day victories and come race day enjoy the moment. You might need help walking out with that giant medal around your neck though=)
ReplyDeleteThanks, Terri. I am actually thinking I may not even do any more long runs(more than 6 miles)until the race---that may sound crazy, but I think I will do better if I have not aggravated my injury and can start the race fresh. It may be a huge mistake, but that is my thinking right now...as well as Mike's. Everytime I run long, I hurt...and I won't mind the hurt after the race for that one day, but the pain could keep me from running it at all if I keep at it. I have run 10 and been fine, so I KNOW I can do it. I may have to walk some, but that's okay.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the encouragement! It really helps coming from someone that has run in so many races!
maybe walking breaks early in the half will help you? perhaps jeff galloway's run so many minutes and then take a minute walk break will be helpful during the race...
ReplyDeleteif you've done ten and could handle it, then you can do it. but how long has it been since you ran ten? maybe an 8 miler before the race? just thinking out loud... i forget how many weeks you have left but i'm thinking it's less than 6.
Yes, I have only 3! It is March 6th. I ran 10 two weeks ago...and then 6 after that(the next long run). My plan was to run 12 this weekend, but I'm afraid it is going to trigger the injury and keep me from running period. So, ightnow the plan is to keep th miles low and run the race the best I can.
ReplyDeleteI think that sounds like a great plan, Kim! Just do the best you can, and have fun! Can't wait to hear about it!
ReplyDelete