And not just any hills...the BIG one! I have one hill that I refer to as the BIG one for a reason. It is one of those hills that when driving up to it, it looks as if it goes straight up. And it pretty much does. I have run up it before when on an easy run...but I have never attempted repeats with this one. There is a reason...I know how I feel when I run up it just once, any more than that would be crazy! My legs feel like rubberbands when I am done and my breathing gets pretty difficult by the time I get to the top. Once is very hard for me.
I decided last week that I was going to try out this hill for my hill repeats. Today I did it--2 times consecutively with a short slow run in between. Woo-hoo! If I had on my heart rate monitor, I am sure it would be alerting me--ringing like crazy! The hill is so steep that I had to run down it in a zig zag pattern so it didn't hurt my knees. My goal is 3 times one after the other. I am going to be working on that. The next couple of weeks will probably be 2 times again...then I will let you know when I attempt three times. It will be ridiculously hard, but I am up for the challenge.
I also ran up another good size hill 2 times, with no break in between.
I am super surprised by my pace. I was going pretty slow up and down the hills. I did feel pretty good after the hills, once my breathing got back in control. I guess I kicked it in and finished with a pretty good pace. I was not trying for under 10/mi, though.
Distance--4.65 mi
Time--45.43
Pace--9:49/mi
Marathon #11 - a PR at last!!
10 years ago

I agree Woo-hoo!!! I think you need to change the name of that hill from BIG one to Victory hill=) Excellent job Kim! I am hoping to get a couple of evening runs in this week so I can hit my regular running trail which has a few big hills. Nothing like you described, but steep enough to get my heart racing. I'm so happy for you that you accomplished this.
ReplyDeletethat is awesome! i was just reading this morning in Runner's World how impt. it is to incorporate hills once a week in training. way to go!!!
ReplyDelete