It is supposed to rain this weekend, so I decided since it was such a gorgeous day, I would run my long run today. I finished school for the day, made everyone lunch and headed out the door. I felt really good today. I think the sunshine motivated me to push it up a notch and go for 12. I stopped for water and a good stretch twice and on the second water break I was at 9.75 miles. I didn't have to go to the bathroom or anything like that, so I continued on to finish out 12.
It was hard...those last 2 miles were very long. I am achy and a tad bit nauseated, which I know is normal.
It was good to see what a half might feel like...but I think for now, I am going to keep my long run around 8-10 miles.
I have a ritual after my long runs...I always eat an orange as well as guzzle water. The orange seems to replenish my body and it taste so yummy, too!
Distance--12.03 mi
Time--1:57:51
Pace--9:47/mi
Marathon #11 - a PR at last!!
10 years ago

Great run Kim! Wow, that's almost a half marathon and you kept up your pace really well!! Today is really sunny with us and we are also due rain at the weekend. For me the weather often dictates my runs (my husband jokingly calls me a "seasonal runner"!!)
ReplyDeleteI must try the orange, sounds refreshing. I always for for water and a banana. :)
Terrific pace Kim! Have you thought about what time you would like to do for a half-marathon? I have always wanted to do a sub-2hour half. But that's around 9:15 the whole distance and I've not been able to maintain that, yet=)
ReplyDeleteLike Jane I've always done the banana thing after a run. I don't like the taste of most sports drinks and they are loaded with sugar and corn syrups. I've been dehydrated to the point that it has affected the quality of my runs, so this year I want to try and figure out a way to avoid that.
Wonderful! The first time I ran 12, I felt sick and my lower back hurt!! It was a crazy feeling. Perhaps your body adjusts and those feelings go away as you raise your mileage.
ReplyDeleteI plan to run 10-12 this Sat. I read two tips in Runner's World this morning that may help:
1. When you run longer than an hour, focus on refueling fast (w/in 30 min.) The body is very receptive in getting carbs back into the muscles. Divide your weight in halffor the # grams you need of simple carbs. (Energy bars are good if you are short on time and they are quickly absorbed.) W/in an hour, eat a full meal with 4:1 carbs to protein.
I always fail with this so my goal is to aim for that!
2. If you feel queasy after a long run, your body is telling you it's stressed out from either dehydration, too many gels, or from working too hard to get fuel into your system.
That was interesting to me and makes me want to stay on top of my water intake even more!
Hope that helps! :)
12!!! Way to go, Kim!
ReplyDelete