Wednesday, April 22, 2009

So Cute!

I saw 2 baby red foxes sitting right by a driveway this morning on my run. They were so cute and just stared at me as I ran by. I guess they are too young to be afraid yet. As cute as they were, I knew that momma fox must have been close by...probably watching every move I made.

It has been getting up into the 70s here in the afternoons, but the mornings are still very cool. I layered a couple of shirts and wore my Asics headband to cover my ears. A nice run today.

Distance--4.43 mi
Time--43:13
Pace--9:44/mi

If you read my Lifesong blog, you know that healthy eating is a big priority for me. I have had to adjust my eating a little as I have increased my running. I will write about that soon. One of the things I have been avoiding is high fructose corn syrup...but since I have been running a few longer runs, I thought I would try some gatorade. The idea of it makes me say yuck! But, I have to say since I have been drinking some before and after my runs, I am like a new person. It really works...and I have been feeling hydrated and much more energetic, especially after running.

UPDATE: I think the gatorade gave me a bad headache...so I am looking into some other options.

9 comments:

  1. I love all the things you see on runs. Often I wish I had my camera with me and that definitely sounds like one of those moments! I realized today after my long run that I need to do something about being more hydrated - any tips are welcome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how much you care about what you put into your body and I knew the corn syrups and sugars in the sports drinks were going to be a tough choice for you. I'm so glad you tried it bc I had the same experience. After becoming dehydrated from runs I finally made myself start drinking them even though I didn't like the sugars. I can only handle a reasonable amount before they give me headaches but I can tell a difference. I am glad this has helped!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that sounds like such a good day, Kim! i'm hoping to get in a few miles today too. i almost always drink gatorade after a long run and for me, and i have noticed a difference in how i feel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terri,

    I am actually feeling a headache right now and was wondering what was causing it...I had some gatorade this morning after my run. My body is just not used to sugar in any form.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think "smart water" has electrolytes but i'm not sure if it has potassium. my friend gave me a bottle once and i remember it had one of those two ingredients.

    the best part of running - seeing His creation eveyhwhere - in every shape and form. i ♥ it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim, how do you feel about coconut water? I know it sounds strange, but you can buy it at Whole Foods Market and other healthy grocery stores.I know it has many beneficial aspects and I think one is electrolytes. I read somewhere that a combination of that with some OJ or emergenC and or powdered vitamin C might be a natural alternative to Gatorade. I personally cannot stomach Gatorade. I think your body just needs a little salt,natural sugar and vitamin/mineral combination to help with your recovery. Give it a try if it sounds like it might be an option.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Kimberly,

    I am going to be looking into some other options, because I think it did give me a headache...or I may just drink a little bit mixed with water or something. I will have to do some research...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim, Let me know what you find out. It would be nice to find something more natural that doesn't give me headaches (the red gatorade more so than the lemon/lime)Yet, does the trick my body needs in replacing those electrolytes. I'm going to be looking also and will let you know what I find.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I started drinking vitamin water 10. I'm not sure what I think about it yet, but it does have a much lower sugar content. I found it at Target.

    ReplyDelete