I was running along on my last mile today and I hear a truck coming up behind me...he passes slowly and goes ahead then pulls in a driveway, turns around and comes back towards me. He passes again and then goes ahead again, pulls into a driveway, and stops. He gets out and goes up to the house. He is obviously looking for a certain address, but he is making me nervous. He gets back in his little truck and pulls out of the driveway coming towards me again...this time slowing down. I knew he was going to stop to ask directions.
I am so very cautious when I run. I almost quit running a while back because I was very afraid of people and dogs, but instead, my husband bought me some pepper spray. I carry it ALWAYS! It makes me feel so much more secure. I do run in safe areas, but you just never know.
I never know the right way to respond to strange men in trucks like this(or anyone stopping like that). I want to think the best of people and be kind...even stop to help someone out....I really do. But, it is just not always safe. So, this time I just waved and yelled out *I'm sorry, I can't help you* and kept running...a little faster with my pepper spray ready. Well, I guess I made him mad because he sped off and very quickly pulled into another driveway, got out and slammed the door...very angrily. I picked up my pace and ran. I knew I was only about 3/4 mile from my house. I honestly felt bad that I didn't help him, but then I think about other women/girls who were being nice and got lured into danger. This is the one thing I hate about running...having to be afraid at times.
How do you all handle these kinds of things? Mike seemed to think what I did was best...he said the guy can figure it out without asking you. Still, I feel like I was rude.
I think this made my pace quicker, although I would rather it not have happened!
Distance--5.62
Time--52:54
Pace--9:24/mi
Marathon #11 - a PR at last!!
10 years ago

Boy Kim, I can so understand. This is one of the reasons I have chosen to drive to running trails rather than run around my neighborhood. I have been chased by dogs and have had to mace a couple. Even running on trails has not proven to be the safest. I was flashed once and had my car broken into. These experiences are scary. I still pass people on the trail that make me feel uneasy. One of the things I do when I have an uneasy feeling is I won't look away. I look right at the person and let them know I am not afraid. I would trust your God given insticts. I think you did what was right and the man's anger was bc of his own frustration. I showed my husband your post and he thought you did what was right also. Thankfully it has been my experience that these things don't happen too often. I'm sorry you had to go through this today.
ReplyDeleteugh, that's awful. I think you made the right decision. Always err on the side of caution. Although maybe sometimes I tend to be a bit too trusting. Though I think I am pretty fortunate where I live and run - there are always plenty of people about - everyone seems to love the outdoors here. Hopefully you won't come across something like that again, it's kinda unsettling.
ReplyDeletedefinitely the right decision! most men would understand that approaching a woman, who is alone,is not the best way to get directions. My husband would have told me that stopping to talk would not have been a good thing. It's not worth the risk. I,too, carry pepper spray. At first, my husband practically made me do this and I resented having to carry it but now I do think it's much better to have it. My preference is always to stay on well traveled roads, nowhere to isolated if I'm alone.
ReplyDeleteYou so made the right decision! Just watch dateline or 48 hours and trust your gut!! Too many women are so nice and well-mannered that it puts them in unneccessary danger. By the way I am female--do NOT know why my mom stuck me with my name! I have started running too, but right now just on a treadmill. I love both of your blogs---you inspire me! I am up to 5 miles with inclines ( running 2 1/2 miles of that). I hope to increase my running miles.
ReplyDeleteI think you did just great and hopefully once the guy made it home later that day he complained to his wife and she pointed out the obvious. You can never be too cautious these days. Do you have homes you run by that you know people at in case you do have an emergency? I think that is vital in planning a route. And do you have a RoadID (roadid.com) just in case (no one likes to think about it but that wristband with info may make all the difference someday).
ReplyDeleteHappy running!