Thursday, June 4, 2009

3.33 Miles

Distance--3.3 miles
Time--30:59
Pace--9:17/mi

I have been taking it easy this week trying to figure out what is going on. I have always had a tight muscle kinda in my upper thigh near where it joins into my hip on the inside of my leg---I know, a weird place. I stretch it all the time and it always feels tight and sometimes hurts just a tad, but nothing really bad. Since I ran the 5k fast last week, I have been having some very unusual pain in my pe*lv*ic area. I rested on Monday mainly because of my blister and that pain, then ran on Tuesday. It has gotten worse each time I try to run. I rested again yesterday and decided to run a short and slow run this afternoon to see how I would feel. The weather is so gorgeous here today, I just couldn't resist! It is still hurting pretty bad. I ran fine...the pain did not get worse during the actual run, but when I finished I could barely walk. It hurts the most when I put weight on that leg. It may be a strained muscle or a stress fracture and is radiating pain in that whole area. Do any of you know what this could be? I really do not want to go to the doctor and have a bunch of expensive tests run just to find out it must be muscular. I guess I need to take some time off and see if it gets better. I was hoping that it would get better this week with me running less. But, it is hurting worse today after running so that must mean I don't need to run. ) :

I am a little bit discouraged because I LOVE to run. Even on the two days I rested this week, I was feeling antsy and in need of a good run! I have gotten so used to it that I really miss it when I can't do it! Resting will be hard for me. Do any of you have any wisdom or advice to pass along? Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Kim~
    I certainly do not know what may be causing your pain...BUT..I'll be praying for you sweet friend!!

    Keep us posted on how you are feeling.....and do take it easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kim, I am so sorry you are in pain. Like you have said in previous posts, it is important to listen to your body. I really hope it will be better soon.

    Weird thing is, after my first 10 mile run I had really bad pain in the same area - where my thigh joins my hip - so bad that every time I got up it was sore and I limped for the first few steps and then it always eased off a bit. It was sore on runs but not so much that I felt I should stop - this lasted about a month and then it just disappeared. For me I think it was muscular.

    What you have could be different and you know best yourself what to do. I just thought I would share this with you because I was so surprised to see you had pain in the same place (I thought it was a weird place too!).

    I hope it eases off for you soon. It is frustrating not being able to get out running, but take care of yourself, that's the most important thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kim,

    I was asking my husband about this because he ran cross country through high school. At first he thought it sounded like your hip-flexor but then he said it sounded more like a groin injury(he is no doctor, just a thought.) Again, not a dr. but his thought was not to stretch or run on it but just rest until you can comfortably put your weight on it. Also, do you know of a good physical therapist in your area? That might also give insight. Hope you feel better soon and that God gives you much wonderful time with Him as you rest. :)

    ReplyDelete