We had a nice weekend in Dallas. We went to pick up Abigail who was at the University of Dallas soccer/goal keeper camp.She had a hard week!!! The *pressure training* sounded very difficult, but she made it through with a pretty great evaluation. We stayed at the Great Wolf Lodge...an indoor waterpark, yummy restaurants, spa for adults and children, arcade, neat shops, and a bedtime time story for the children in the lobby. Everything you would want! Not as pretty as where Wendy has been, though!!! My sweet husband treated me to a relaxation package at the spa and the massage was excellent as well as the facial. What a great guy...and on Father's Day weekend!
Being on my feet a little more really caused me to have some deep achiness and sharp twingy type pains from my injury. It has been exactly 3 weeks since the onset of the pain and it is not really much better (only after lots of resting does it feel better). Mike and I have self-diagnosed me with some kind of pelvic stress fracture. I am sure at this point that it is bone, not muscle. Only an MRI would confirm it, but I have decided not to spend the $$$ and just rest it. That is what the doctor would say to do anyway. I can feel tenderness on the bone and think all the pain I am feeling radiates from that point. There is really nothing to do for a pelvic or pubic ramus stress fracture except rest and possible physical therapy later on. The pain is hard to describe and it moves around...most of the time it is in the groin and pelvic area...sometimes in the back of the leg where the leg joins into the pelvis...sometimes lower abdomen pain like a muscle pull...so strange! The overall achiness feeling is bothersome, but with resting gets better. I know if I was to run the more extreme limping type pain would be back. Friday night of our weekend I was very tired and the pain really bothered me so much that I had to stay sitting down. We ordered food and stayed in the room for the evening. Saturday I was able to go to the water park and let the younger ones play...that was fine. Then we had dinner with a sweet friend(met from blogging) and her precious family. I actually felt fine that evening. Later that night I began to feel it again and Sunday in the car was pretty uncomfortable. So, what I learned is that it gets worse the more I am on my feet...even though I am not running or walking quickly.
I am hopeful,though, that my injury is not as bad as some I have read about...and mine will heal quickly. I am going to rest and then rest some more and we will see how it goes!
I'm looking into getting one of these to use after the pain is better, but not able to run yet. Have any of you ever used a recumbent exercise bike? With very little impact, this may be a nice change of pace for me.
I hope you all have had a nice weekend!
Marathon #11 - a PR at last!!
10 years ago

Oh, I am so glad you are still posting, even though you aren't running! I love seeing "Go the distance" in bold in my google reader!
ReplyDeleteI am continuing to pray for you. So glad you had a great trip, the massage and spa sounds just what you needed, what a treat! :)
My mom has a recumbent bike and was told not to use it anymore due to severe back issues. I wonder if, in the reclining position, you would be putting more stress on that area than you realize? Have you thought about water jogging with a vest on? They make them specifically for running in the water and I paid around $50 for mine some years ago. It would be non-impact and non-weight bearing so would not pressure your injury. Or for that matter just simply swimming.
ReplyDeleteGlad you had such a great weekend and I hope you are feeling better soon!
I had the exact same thought as Mechelle about running in the pool with a vest. I don't know if I would do a recumbent bike since it's so lower body intensive.I used to work with someone who was a die-hard runner. That girl was always running and had an intense training program. She got injured a few times during the time I worked with her and she always rehabed her injury by running in the swimming pool. She would also wear a vest and she would also wear an old pair of running shoes to add more resistance in the water. Just a thought. ;) I hope you will truly take the time to rest though too. God has given you a great opportunity to do that. :)
ReplyDeleteI have thought about that, too.
ReplyDeleteI have looked into buying an aqua jogger...and since we have a pool that would work great. I could swim or do deep water running while the kids play.
i used loved working out on the recumbent bike at the gym... it works the hamstring more than the quads - so it would feel very different at first!
ReplyDelete