Friday, June 12, 2009

Update on my Injury

I have been resting this week as much as is possible with 4 children and a busy schedule...my family has been sweet and understanding and have allowed for me to rest quite a bit. I have even missed church 2 times this week, which has been hard for me, but really resting requires me to miss some things and I need to be okay with that.

The pain gets better when resting. It feels so much better that I feel like trying to exercise some. I did go out for a short walk 2 times this week, just to see how my body would respond..I walked for a few minutes and then tried to run very slowly. The pain came back immediately. Afterwards, I was limping again. Then after resting a while, the pain gets better. That is how the cycle is going right now. So, I have decided that I better just stop anything that requires impact at all. I can walk from A to B just fine...so I am able to do things at home...but after too much time on my feet, the achiness come back. Not full fledged pain, but still bothersome dull pain. Not fun.

I have done a lot of research to find out what it could be and I think that I might have a stress fracture...possibly pel*vic or something in that area. I really hope it isn't because depending on the severity of it, I can be down from running for MONTHS! This is a pretty common injury with women runners, especially after running a marathon or increasing their mileage, etc. Most of the time, the pain or achiness just resembles something that could be muscle or tendon pain, but it doesn't go away in a few days like a typical muscle injury does...plus the pain feels deeper and gets worse with weight bearing activities. I have been feeling the achiness for a while and just thought it was typical "after running" soreness and all...but then when I ran that fast 5k a couple of weeks ago, I started having much more pain and the following 2 runs after that caused me to limp...and that is how a stress fracture acts...it occurs over time as more tension pull is put on the bone until it is an all out fracture.

I am also having some nausea, which I think is related to the injury. I just have an overall feeling of not being well.

So, I am going to the doctor...as much as I do not want to...I need to know what this is and what I need to do to get better. I have an appointment at an Ortho Clinic on Tuesday that specializes in sports injuries. I am expecting a bone scan or MRI of the area. It is in an awkward place so I am really nervous about the appointment..."Hello, nice to meet you, I have pain right down here". I am such a modest person, even with doctors, that I would really like to avoid this whole ordeal.

Thank you so much for your prayers and your sweet comments. I wrote all this to ask you again to pray for me as I go to this appointment and pray that it is not a stress fracture! I am having some trouble thinking about not being able to be active for such a long period of time. But, like I said before, if God needs to remove this from me for now, then I will praise Him and thank Him for knowing what is best for me.

13 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear that you are not getting better and that you may have a stress fracture. Please keep us updated and I'll be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited that your blog accepted my comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me, too! Thank you, Mechelle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After doing a little bit of reading recently, I thought your injury sounded more like a stress fracture too. I will continue to pray for an accurate diagnosis and healing, and that you will continue to wait patiently on the Lord.

    Appreciate your trusting heart!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Kim my heart goes out to you. I can sense your struggle and also your willingness to submit to His will in this. I know as you do His grace will be sufficient. I prayed for you on my run this morning and will continue to do so throughout this ordeal. Please keep us updated on the diagnosis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim~
    You poor thing you. Know that I have been, and will continue to lift you up in prayer. Would you mind sharing what time you will be at the doctor so I can pray specifically at that very moment that God's PEACE...will flood your soul...and that all worry, fear, and anxiety..will be GONE..in Jesus name.

    Resting in know that none of this has caught God by surprise....he isn't sitting in heaven ringing his hands...wondering what to do. But rather...he knows...and he's preparing a way. So rest in him sweet friend.

    On my knees for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will be continuing to pray for you and especially on Tuesday with your appointment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wanted to pop in to say I am praying for you today with your appointment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying for you today with your appt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. am thinking of you and praying your appt. went well and you have a sense of peace - no matter what! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Prayed for you today that Gods peace would fill you to overflowing throughout your appointment and diagnosis.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been praying for you today!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been praying too and thinking of you this week! :)

    ReplyDelete