Although everything came back great with my blood work, I thought, as well as my doctor, that my calorie intake was just not fueling my body enough for the kind of energy I was using up. Also, I had very little fat in my diet as well. I was stiff, sore, and lacked energy later in the day. I think I could have been deficient in zinc and calcium.
This time I am trying to be smarter and more balanced. My goal is to fuel my body with nutrients, proteins, antioxidants, and fat. I realize now that when I run, my body needs to be replenished and sometimes a red bell pepper and fresh greens are not enough.
So, here are some things I am doing to help me be stronger and injury free this time:
Eating lean red meat once a week
Adding whey protein isolate to my smoothies for extra calories and protein
Adding flax seed meal to yogurt, smoothies, and oatmeal
Eating eggs...and lots of them
Eating some form of protein with every meal and snack
Still eating tons of green veggies and berries
Using real butter and low fat and full fat cheese
Lots of seeds and nuts
Greek yogurt--can't do without this yummy stuff!
Green tea...still a staple
Skim milk
Regular pasta sometimes, but still prefer whole grain
Fortified cereals like Total to give me much needed vitamins since I can't take a supplement
Hopefully, this plan will get me through the training and the run on March 6th!

Love this post Kim! Since I am trying to loose a few pounds while pushing my training up I am also trying to make conscious choices, when and what to eat. I eat lots of eggs too and have always used real butter. I know you are going to do so well! I look forward to going on this journey with you.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a terrific plan that should give you sustained energy - plus sooo healthy! I am praying for your training to go smoothly and for the injury to stay away. :)
ReplyDelete