Thursday, January 13, 2011

Rest Days are Crucial

I have learned that rest days are mandatory for me. With me becoming more injury prone these last couple of years, the best thing for me is not to run 2 days in a row. That is part of my strategy as I train for the half coming up. Also, when I have a longer run, I rest 2 days and then feel fine to run again. I guess all of those running articles I have read over the years were right.

I'm a little stubborn and have had to learn these things the hard way!

1 comment:

  1. I think Kim you must do what keeps your body running. I know Runners World Magazine has a training program that advocates the more rest than running approach. Over the years I have had to adjust in order to keep from becoming completely injured. Listen to your body it's letting you know what is doable right now. I have a friend who runs marathons fast(3:20 or less) and he walk/runs them! I could never understand how someone as fast as he was could walk for 30sec. every mile. Then I tried it once on a run. I will tell you it went completely against my "run at all cost" philosophy of running. But you know what, I ran faster, it was crazy, my legs getting that tiny rest, rebounded. I have not tried it since because I just couldn't convince myself. Some ways die hard I guess for me too...

    ReplyDelete