I ran my first race in a full fledged thunderstorm...with lightning and everything. I even jumped a couple of times during the run...the thunder was so loud. Thankfully I had sprayed my jacket with water repellant earlier in the week...like that was really going to help?! Nothing was going to keep me from getting completely drenched. I went through water puddles that were probably six inches or more deep at times...splashing and trudging along. I'm so glad I wore my old Asics and not my new shoes. A few times I was running along with someone and we were laughing at how ridiculous this was...while trying to avoid and dodge huge lakes of water as we turned corners and hit low areas of road. Such funny memories!
I felt pretty warm running even though it was pretty cool out. The actual cold hit when we were waiting for the results in the field house...Abigail and I were soaked and our bodies were cooling off from the run...the shivers hit. We were freezing!!! I did have a dry sweatshirt to put on, which helped so much! That warm bath felt so good after getting home! It has NEVER felt so good!
But, I must say it was really fun and I enjoyed being in a race. The whole time I was running I was thanking God for the ability to run in this race...and also asking Him to protect me from the lightning. I faced some real fears today and God was so kind to help me through them!
Here is my official race time from the timing chip on my shoe.
Distance--6.2 miles
Time--57:33
Pace--9:17/mi
I placed 7th in my age group and was 2 seconds behind 6th place. All in all, I did well, met my goal of it being under an hour, and ran pretty hard for me. I was very happy with my time especially considering the weather.
Abigail's 5k time:
Distance--3.1 miles
Time--30:11
Pace--9:45
She placed 6th in her age group! I was very proud of her.
These pictures are after the race...my red shirt is literally dripping wet and I am shivering...they are not the greatest pictures. Evie and Jack Henry were signed up for the tadpole trot and it was canceled due to the weather...they still received a ribbon, which I thought was nice.

Oh Kim, I was smiling the whole time I read this. I prayed for you this morning around the time I thought the race might start. What a memory for a first race! You should be VERY happy with your time in light of the week and the race conditions. Wow, on the 7th almost 6th place finish!!!You did well Kim, really well. I am so happy that you and your family had this experience.
ReplyDeleteWhat a crazy fun race! You are ready for any conditions now! :) I'm so happy for your finish time and place - that is AWESOME! Your pictures are just adorable - soaking wet and all. SO happy for you! :)
ReplyDeleteWow, that sounds like quite the adventure!
ReplyDeleteYou did great and how fun for your kids to run too!
What a crazy, fun day! I loved that they gave the little ones their ribbons!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! It sounds like you will have many fun and distinct memories from your first 10k.;) Our small town has a "fun run" every fourth of July. It's a 5k and I have run it with my now 8 year old for the last 3 years. He will be so excited to move up to the next distance.:) Congrats to Abigail too!
ReplyDelete