We tried out the level 2 last night on the Shred DVD...all I can say is my deltoid muscles felt like they were on fire. It was much harder than level 1.
After doing level 2 last night, my legs felt really tired today. Running was hard. My legs felt heavy and it took every ounce of energy that I had to run. Saturday is usually my long running day, but with some bad weather coming in(it started raining while I was running) and considering how I felt, I decided to make it a shorter run. Tomorrow is a rest day. Hopefully next week I can get my mileage back up.
Distance--6.18 miles...with some rolling hills and 4 quick sprints at the end.
Time--56:13
Pace--9:06/mi
How much do you push yourself even when you are tired? Do you rest when you feel fatigued or do you think it is better to push through and at least run some. I have books that say 2 different things. What do you think is the best perspective? I know we should listen to our bodies, but if we never push ourselves, how do we ever improve? I am kinda of the mindset that our bodies do better if we allow our muscles to rebuild themselves through good rest times, but only one day here and there. Too much rest time could sabotage our fitness level. What are your thoughts?
Marathon #11 - a PR at last!!
10 years ago

I tend to try to stick to my scheduled runs even if I have to drag myself out the door. I sometimes make adjustments during my run if I think my body might be too stressed so as to avoid an injury, but most of the time I feel better once I start and can push through the fatigue. I agree I don't think you will progress if you don't push through it. Also if you're not occasionally feeling tired then possibly you're not pushing hard enough in the first place. I'm from the old school of thought that if you want to be a better runner you have to run and you have to do it regularly with effort.
ReplyDeleteBTW Kim I think you did excellent on your pace and mileage considering you had to push yourself. Great effort!
Good questions. I tend towards pushing myself if I am tired because more often than not, going for a run then energizes me. I find the longer I rest between runs, the harder it is to get back running again. However there are also times when we do need to rest and you are right, a day here and there is about the right balance. After a really long run, I find that evening I am EXHAUSTED! Don't know if that is normal or not, or whether with time and more regular long runs, I will be less tired.
ReplyDeleteAt the moment I am still recovering from a cold and wondering when I should go back out running again.
The pace you maintained for a 6 mile is fantastic!
I agree about not taking too much rest time. I try to push myself somewhat even when I am tired. If I am in pain and feel like it involves an injury of some kind, I will stop so I don't injure myself more.
ReplyDelete