Monday, May 4, 2009

Shoes

I had the wonderful opportunity to visit a specialty running store on Friday. I thought that since we were needing to spend extra on a new floor and new tires, that my new running shoes would have to wait. But...my sweet husband surprised me with a runner's world magazine subscription and a trip to the running store that I had been wanting to visit! It was so fun!

First of all, the kind runner woman had me run in my old shoes. Then she measured my foot and felt the way my old shoes fit me. I was wearing a whole size too small! Can you believe that? I'm so glad I went and was fitted...I don't think I would have ever gone up a whole size on my own. She also showed me the bottom of my shoes and said I was a mild supinator...because I was wearing my sole out on the outer heel. She said I needed a moderate stability shoe with some cushioning. The asics gel nimbus(what I have been wearing) is strictly a cushion shoe and I need more support. I tried on 5 pair--a Nike, Asics, Saucony, Brooks, and Mizuno. After running in each one, I decided on this pair:



I also loved the way the Mizuno felt on my foot, but she said that with me increasing my distance, the saucony was going to be more supportive for longer distances.

I ran in them for the first time this morning and I really like them. The store was great and really helpful. I definitely will be going back from now on!

Distance--4.46 rolling hills...no big ones today!
Time--41:53
Pace--9:23/mi

3 comments:

  1. Yipp!!! on the new running shoes. What a difference a good running store can make. I had to re-order my shoes a whole size larger also. Great job on the mileage today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear you were able to get help w/shoes! Saucony is my favorite brand!

    I always buy my running shoes 1/2 size big.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad that worked out so well for you! And congrats on your race efforts this past weekend!

    ReplyDelete