Saturday, May 16, 2009

Not For Me

I have recently started reading "Once A Runner". First of all, I am not a fiction reader. I have only read a few fiction books in my life...and most of them were just okay and mainly read as school assignments. I tend to read more instructional type books about Bible instruction and how to love God more in my life. I know my own heart enough to know that I really need these kinds of books in my life more than anything else. But...

I decided to order this book after reading the reviews on it, thinking it might be a good read as I try to improve as a runner. Bad idea.

I know it is heralded as the best running novel ever, but I can not get past the language, especially when it is taking God's name in vain occasionally (well more than a few times). So, after reading a few chapters, I have decided to not read it. It is not for me. Maybe others would not be as bothered by it, but it was disturbing to me and there are much better things out there for me to read.

The Ultramarathon Man did have a few choice words in there, which I didn't like, but there was no taking the Lord's name in vain. There were only a few times that profanity was used, so I am going to go back and black them out because it doesn't change the story at all.

All in all, we have to be careful and discerning about what we read and watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment