Monday, May 18, 2009

How Great is Our God!

The sun was shining brightly this morning so I went outside for my quiet time today. It was a glorious morning! For the summer, I am changing things up a bit and am going to do part of my quiet time before my run, so I can be thinking on what the Lord taught me that morning. I have been running first (early) and then working in my quiet time before breakfast. This hasn't always worked and I have been seeing that I have not been as consistent as I should be. I also have needed some more structure to my Bible reading, so I have developed a plan! Does that surprise you? I seem to thrive on schedules and plans...I just operate better this way. The truth is I know myself well enough to know it would not get done if I didn't have some sort of structure and goal. That is why I love having weekly menu plans with our dinners, a running schedule, and a quiet time plan. If things don't go as planned, though, it is OKAY! Flexibility is something God has been teaching me, too.

I am going back to some basics. I need this right now. I have even taken much needed time away from facebook and my other blog to get more focused. Some things in life can be allowed and fine to do, but can be a big distraction at times. I have chosen some characteristics of God and will be spending one week on each characteristic..reading scripture that describes the Lord, memorizing some key verses from the passages, and meditating on these truths as I run and throughout the day. My goal is to see how perfect and wonderful God is and think on it daily. I have to train my mind to do this because as the day goes I begin to allow God not to be first and foremost in my thoughts.

This week I am focusing on the Greatness of God. Pretty basic and simple...but yet so profound and mind boggling.

I read these verses before my run this morning:

Psalm 86:8-13

There is none like you among the gods, O Lord,
nor are there any works like yours.
All the nations you have made shall come
and worship before you, O Lord,
and shall glorify your name.
For you are great and do wondrous things;
you alone are God.
Teach me your way, O Lord,
that I may walk in your truth;
unite my heart to fear your name.
I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart,
and I will glorify your name forever.
For great is your steadfast love toward me;
you have delivered my soul from the depths of Sheol.


I hope you don't mind me sharing these kinds of things here. I feel like this is a small group of us who have some things in common...mainly loving God and running...and that binds our hearts together as friends. I like being able to share things the Lord is teaching me as well as how my running is going.

Ipod highlights were *Who Am I* by Casting Crowns and *Mighty To Save* by Michael W. Smith.



My Run:

I started out feeling really good after resting yesterday, so I decided to push a mile and see how fast I could run it. My first mile was 7:40. Ack--it was hard. I stopped and walked for one minute afterwards and then finished my run at a more relaxed pace.

Distance--4.64 miles
Time--39:36
Pace--8:32/mi

6 comments:

  1. I'm the same way with the scheduling. If I have a schedule and stick to it (for the most part), my day just seems to go smoother and I get all the important things done. Otherwise, I just feel like I'm spinning my wheels. I love your plan of meditating on the attributes of God. I started my year out that way and it was a very profitable time for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, I just wanted to say how much I appreciate this about you...lol! I laugh because I don't really know you but feel I do a little through your blog. I appreciate your desire to make God first and how you begin to do things differently if the Lord convicts you about something.:) Thanks for this idea about going through the attributes of God. For this last year, I have been leading a small group study and I was just thinking about what I want to do this Summer when the study ends. I, too,need a plan or I do not always get the most important things done.I love accountability with God's Word! Thanks for sharing about this.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, I love the fact that you share these types of things too. I agree our love for Him and how that filters into our running binds our hearts. It is a blessing in my life to have women like you to communicate with both on a spiritual and health level. I so appreciate your love for Him and your desire to seek how to glorify Him thorough your life. It is such and example to me and encourages me in my race.
    WOW! on the 7:40 mile!!! Ack--is right!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you post stuff like this! It is so good that we can encourage each other and learn from each other. Great idea about studying the attributes of God - yesterday I was doing a one-to-one study with a student on the holiness of God - God's attributes never cease to amaze me and make me humble and make me want to worship Him more. Thanks so much for sharing what you are learning and studying - I learn a lot from you.

    And I have to say 7.40!!! I'm not even sure I could run that fast if I tried! And then keeping an 8.32 pace, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pace! I haven't seen a mile in the 7's for awhile, I should try that sometime.

    I love that you share these kinds of things and that we can encourage one another in taking good care of our bodies, as well as our families. Thank you for being an example to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I echo what everyone here has said, too! You bless me by sharing your heart and it really is encouraging for me. I appreciate it so much. This group of ladies has been so uplifting and I'm so thankful for all of you!

    ReplyDelete