Thursday, May 28, 2009

Nutrition and Running

Today is a rest day for me so I thought I would spend just a minute writing on the topic of nutrition...one of my favorite topics, I must say! I think being a nutritionist or a dietician would be such a fun job. The great thing about my interest in this topic is instead of focusing on a career outside the home, God can use it to bless my family and encourage good health for those that I love.

I have always had a desire to eat healthy. I remember vividly all of the fresh garden vegetables that my parents grew as I was young and into my teen years. At the time I was not a big fan of the garden, but I think it made me like vegetables more. We often would eat a freshly picked tomato, sliced with salt and pepper for a snack. My parents did not always eat and prepare the healthiest of foods, though...but all in all I saw and experienced fresh grown foods and learned to appreciate and enjoy them. Of course, I ate my share of junk food growing up...fast food was always a welcomed treat. But into my adult years, I began seeking out ways to eat healthier and have enjoyed studying up on it.

My husband, on the other hand, grew up eating fried chicken, with mashed potatoes and corn as the main vegetables. Whenever we would go to Mike's mom's house early on in our marriage we would have lots of different choices...all delicious, but not healthy at all. Lots of saturated fatty foods...with very little salads and fresh veggies. Mike's mom begin having problems with high blood pressure and high cholesterol and passed away in her 60's from a heart attack. Although she had been to the doctor many times, she was just given meds...with no real talk of lifestyle changes in the area of diet and exercise. It was a big shock to us and we were all so very sad!

The good news is that there are ways to take care of ourselves and have a healthy life. God is sovereign and He alone has our days numbered and knows the time of our death, so I am not thinking that it could change or prolong things outside of God's plans, by any means. But, God has given us so many healthy foods to enjoy...He created them and has provided them for us. It really is a blessing to think about all of the naturally grown foods that He has planned for us...I just want to be a good steward of those provisions. There are foods that are more healthful than others, so I try to make those healthy foods the ones we consume the most.

If you keep up with my Lifesong blog, you know that I have been eating a pretty much vegan diet for the last 9 months or so--Focusing on vegetables, fruits, whole grains, beans and legumes, nuts and other healthy fats. I know it has been good for me... lots of evidence for that. The hormonal issues that I was having have diminished so much that I have been almost PMS free! My periods have gone back to the normal cycle time and the pre-menopausal symptoms I was having have improved greatly! I am not saying that eating this way is for everybody, but I know for me it has been a really good thing! I have been able to find great healthy recipes...I have learned what to eat when eating out, and I have enjoyed what have been my favorites foods anyway...fresh veggies and fruits! Meat was not ever my favorite thing to eat on my plate.

Since I have begun running longer distances, adding hills, and speed work, I have seen that my somewhat restrictive diet was not enough for me. The first thing I noticed was the weight I was losing...too much! I am normally on the low weight end of the charts for my height. I have a somewhat small frame(small boned)...I am tall(about 5'8"). I have skinny genes from my dad's side of the family...so losing weight was not what I needed to do! Also, my energy level was not bouncing back after running...and the potty issue I have mentioned before was getting worse. A healthy diet has lots of fiber,so that was becoming a problem for me.

As a result of these things, I decided to bring back some foods that are still very healthy, but I was not allowing due to them not being a plant source. I have added these foods back into my diet and I think it has helped a lot. I eat organic omega 3 eggs a couple of times a week...also I have added fat free greek yogurt, which I love and have actually missed a lot! I buy this brand...it is so yummy! I am also eating salmon about 2 times a week and other seafoods occasionally...like sea scallops, shrimp, and tilapia. But, still, most of my meals are still plant based....I love fresh salads, vegetable stir fry with brown rice, and fresh berries. I eat a serving of blueberries almost every day! I love the Superfoods website and book. It has lots of information that tells why certain foods are better than others. It explains about phytochemicals and nutrients that are in the superfoods and why we can not duplicate those nutrients with vitamin supplements. There are just too many to imitate and they can't be imitated! We need to get all or most of our nutrition from the foods we eat, not vitamins. I do think there are times when supplements are needed, though...but they shouldn't be taken to take the place of good foods.

So what am I eating these days?

Organic salads with lots of raw veggies
Salmon about 1 time a week or less (wild, not farm raised)I had two times a week, but it is never that often.
Other various forms of seafoods sometimes
Organic eggs with Omega 3 (only once every couple of weeks or so)
Vegetables...all kinds...raw, roasted, stir fried in olive oil spray, steamed, and grilled.
Fruits...lots of berries--strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries. Also, bananas, oranges, apples.
Grains-- Oatmeal(the real kind, not instant), brown rice, whole wheat pastas and breads, and others.
Beans and legumes
Greek fat free yogurt...still limiting this, but every once in a while is okay.
Some low fat cheeses...on some salads and veggie pizzas. Very sparingly...
Whole wheat pastas with marinara sauces...all kinds and veggies added in.
Baked sweet potatoes and regular baked potatoes.
Some fortified cereals (needs to be whole grain and low sugar) with rice dream milk
Calcium fortified orange juice
RW Knudsen organic fruit juices
Healthy fats like Olive Oil, almonds, walnuts.
The healthiest bagels I can find and MaraNatha peanut butter
Oh, and I almost forgot...green tea! I especially like this kind. I drink one cup of regular in the mornings and decaf the rest of the day. Coffee is not something I drink on a regular basis...but an occasional decaf soy latte is good!

That's a lot of food! I hope this was not too boring and long! I just have a passion about eating healthy. One thing I have been learning also though is that even though this is a priority for me, I must have a healthy balance...especially in regards to my children. I need to be somewhat flexible with them and make it fun to be healthy. I do allow many fun and normal foods for them. And, if I want to splurge sometimes, I do! Nothing like a big plate of chips and salsa...my favorite treat!

4 comments:

  1. What a great post Kim! I am going to come back again and re-read this to check out the links and take in all the great advice! As I was reading I was thinking "oh, I must ask Kim for her "go to" recipe website" - but I see that the Superfoods has recipes, definitely going to check them out!

    We eat a lot of fruit and veg and here where we live it is all so fresh (often the fruits and vegs are very misshapen etc, but I count that a good sign, if they look too perfect, something isn't right!)

    We also eat a lot of fresh salmon, which is very inexpensive here. I usually buy a whole one and when they are cutting it up for me they ask do I want to keep the head, I make a face and say no thanks (they always laugh at me - I am the strange foreigner!).

    And we are also fans of green tea (with lemon). But I have to admit I couldn't give up my coffee! :)

    This is such a great post, I love reading and learning about healthy living!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your post about nutrition too. I want to try the tea and the yogurt. I've been interested in nutrition, vitamins, exercise for most of my life. I'm a vegetarian [about 13 years now]--for now-- and try to eat healthfully, but I do love my chocolate . . . a little bite each day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Ann,

    I didn't know you were a vegetarian...that is interesting. I'd love to hear your reasons for starting down that path 13 years ago! Do you ever eat fish? It has been about a year since I have had any poultry, pork, or red meat of any kind. I just don't have a desire for it. I read the China study a while back and was convinced that our country's high rate of disease is from the unhealthy westernized diet...mainly meats (saturated fats and high cholesterol). I'd love to hear your thoughts on this as well! Maybe you could write a post on your decision to be a vegetarian and how that has affected your health! I would love that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading about all your healthy food choices. It is so good for you that you eat this way. I eat salmon regularly also and eat as close to vegan as possible. I used to be total vegan but found I needed some meats and eggs to help with more sustained energy. I do have to have my cup of coffee in the morning;) but enjoy green tea the rest of the day. I don't find this subject boring at all. Thanks for sharing this wealth of information.

    ReplyDelete